Even though JJ Abrams came out and said that the “Ethan Haas” websites had nothing to do with Cloverfield some people still wanted to believe that they did. Abrams has been known to lie when it comes to his viral websites for LOST, so why would this be any different. Well apparently the Ethan Haas website is actually for an upcoming table-top RPG game. There are a few clues which you can find by reading over here, but basically if you look at the source code for the ethan haas site, the 1-8-18 site and the slusho.jp site, you will notice that only 2 of the 3 are using the google analytics on them… bet you can guess which 2. But that’s not even the most compelling evidence. Head on over here to take a look at the final screen from the Ethan Haas website as compared to a piece of imagery found on the servers for this table-top RPG game. Look pretty similar don’t they?

1. b!X

It was somewhat reassuring to see that image comparison pop up. Having spent much time the last week on this RPG angle, to see what’s fairly obviously the same image (or at least different versions of the same image) being used in both places was like someone telling me I wasn’t quite mad after all.

2. Matt B

Mind Storm Labs and Alpha Omega don’t exist.

I’ve searched up Mind Storm Labs on Google, and it said they’re displaying Alpha Omega at Gen Con Indy 07′, yet when I looked up ALL the events in Gen Con Indy 07′, there was nothing about a, “Alpha Omega”.

Maybe I missed it, can someone help confirm that it doesn’t exist?

Mind Storm labs also have never had any other projects, and on the ff0000.com site, the site who was appearently behind Ethan Haas, under clients and marketing campaigns, theres nothing regarding any Mind Storm Labs.

I believe you should look into this further, and whoever writes this blog should post something on this matter.

3. Matt B

Also, If Mind Storm Labs was looking to bring table-top RPGs back to life why would they name the game “Alpha Omega?” Seems like a pretty lame name to me.

Their site was registered through godaddy.com, and here is the registration:

Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: MINDSTORMLABS.COM
    Created on: 08-May-06
    Expires on: 08-May-08
    Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration MINDSTORMLABS.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States
    (480) 624-2599

The only thing that doesn’t match up is the date created. That could probably be explained though. It just all seems too fishy to me. Either Alpha Omega isn’t related to Ethan Haas, Or Alpha Omega is there try to throw us off. Idk.

After looking into it, I have no reason to believe that “Alpha Omega” and Mindstorm Labs doesn’t exist. They don’t try to hide the fact that “Alpha Omega” is their first table top RPG (every company has to start somewhere). And like you said, the domain name was registered back in 2006, which cannot be faked, but of course someone could have bought it off the original owner.

And as far as them not being listed on the exhibitors page at GenCon Indy, they seem to be on there. http://www.gencon.com/2007/indy/exhibitors/exhibitors.aspx so I’m pretty sure it’s safe to assume that they do, in-fact, exist and have a game coming out at some point.

5. Sheila Cue

It is a very long game, with an engaging story. It can be a bit frustrating, but the in-game hints are very helpful, and I’ve posted a short list of “translations” in the game area. ie. What they ask for and what they really mean. BigFishGames Fan.

6. Megan

The well written article encouraged me a lot! Saved the blog, extremely great topics just about everywhere that I see here! I really appreciate the info, thanks.