The official synopsis has been placed on www.cloverfieldmovie.com and reads as follows

“Five young New Yorkers throw their friend a going-away party the night that a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city. Told from the point of view of their video camera, the film is a document of their attempt to survive the most surreal, horrifying event of their lives.”

1. HArry

It’s a good synopsis.
    “a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city”

descends… mmm… interesting O__o’

2. steven

but is the cloverfieldmovie.com website legit? i always thought some regular person just made it for the previews.

3. deadboizer0

wow………how very…….well…..what can i say. i think we knew this one……….lol

4. the carpenter

well, i think it is a real site….just makes sense. its not producing any controversy….and usually thats what the fake sites do to get attention. you know?

5. Rachel

I agree with HArry. Interesting use of “decends”… however, I think it’s to throw us off.
    Descends also means:
    “To arrive or attack in a sudden or an overwhelming manner: summer tourists descending on the seashore village.”
    Sooooo… though generally, not necessarily, from above.

6. Jake

I agree. The word “descends” strikes me first. Another words that strikes me is “surreal.” Makes the monster sound other-worldy. What do you think? Descend and surreal kind of give the monster that alien sounding quality, you know?

7. Morgannon

LOL I just can’t believe how everyone is dissecting the crap out of the littlest thing that is put up on the site or any site that may possibly have something to do with Cloverfield.

I mean, it’s fine to speculate, and everyone obviously has the right to do so, and the right to their opinion, but I think some people are taking the phrasing / verbology a little TOO seriously.

For instance, regarding “descend upon”…that word is often used in everyday context as “attack” or “infiltrate”, as in “The frat brothers descended upon the sorority en masse”. Doesn’t mean they floated down from a balloon…

Not every blurb from this movie is laden with hidden meaning :p

8. Dameric

When you look at word play like that though, you have to look at the connotation and where it comes from. The term descend, when talking about something descending, gives the impression of “from above” even if you are speaking metaphorically.

In fact, your use of the word works perfectly in the fact that, since the frat boys would most likely be up to no good, them descending upon the sorority would give them a nefarious feel in regards to their actions. Perhaps its just me, but when talking about something in that type of connotation, I would say that sharks attack, lions stalk, but bats or vultures descend, relating to how they reach their pray and therefore it would come across as an attack from above.

While of course there are some people that are over analyzing things, I don’t think every little thing should be discounted, because its just the word play like that that I feel marketing groups would put in to hint at things, because its things like that that I, as a writer, would put.

9. Morgannon

Dameric;

You raise a good point regarding association of verbs with body types; i.e., vultures descend, lions stalk. However, in most of the body of literature I’ve read, “descend upon” most often connotates an attack from a superior / warlike force upon an inferior / peaceful force, to add dramatic impact to the description of the scene.

For instance, “The viking warriors descended upon monk’s village like a steel storm,” or “The vampires descended upon the sleeping town”, etc. etc. These two examples show that there is no actual implied descent from a height – “descend” is just used for dramatic impact.

However, you can also use it literally as in, “Smaug descended upon the Lonely Mountain in a spout of fire”.

All of these examples work dramatically and contextually, so I don’t agree with your assertion that “descend” gives the impression of “from above”, unless it’s referring to a position of strength.

Looks like we agree that people are overanalyzing things though :p

10. jeff

This just looks like a different take of Godzilla. The last one took place in New York and in the trailer, they reference Japan. So… I dunno. That seems pretty obvious.

Although, I saw a commercial hinting at some sort of virus or infection and containing some pale, zombie looking girl.

I’m extremely curious.